Nutrition in Our Schools
The Child Nutrition and WIC Reauthorization Act was signed as Public Law 108-265 on June 30, 2004. The law contains several provisions that impact the School Nutrition Programs.
Section 204, Local Wellness Policy, requires all Local Education Agencies (LEA’s) that participate in the National School Lunch or School Breakfast Program to develop and implement a Local Wellness Policy by July 1, 2006.
The Local Wellness Policy, at a minimum, must:
- Include goals for physical activity, nutrition education and other school-based activities that are designed to promote student wellness.
- Include nutrition guidelines for all foods available on the school grounds during the school day with the objectives of promoting student health and reducing childhood obesity.
- Provide assurance that any guidelines established for reimbursable meals at the local level will not be less restrictive than current federal regulations for meals served through the School Nutrition Programs.
- Establish a plan for measuring the implementation of the wellness policy.
- Designate one or more persons at the LEA or each school who is responsible for the operational responsibility and ensuring the school meets the policy
- Involves parents, students, and representatives of the school food authority, the school board, school administrators, and the public in the development of the school wellness policy.