Through the teaching of the Catholic Faith in all of its fullness, the people will come to know the Lord Jesus more deeply, so that they might have communion with Him and with one another in the Holy Spirit, so as to glorify God the Father and come to the love that never ends.
Catechetical Work in the Diocese of Harrisburg
“The eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain to which Jesus had ordered them. When they saw him, they worshiped, but they doubted. Then Jesus approached and said to them, “All power in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe al that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, until the end of the age.” – Matthew 28:16-20
The goal of religious education is to guide and to serve the catechetical work in the Diocese of Harrisburg, under the direction of its Bishop, the chief teacher of the Diocese.
This fosters and supports the formation of the people of the Diocese in the ways of Christ Jesus and in their on-going conversion to Him.
- 2022-23 Religious Education Year COVID Guidelines (same guidelines as those in our Catholic Schools)
- December 2021 Religious Education and Youth Ministry Masking Update
- Diocese of Harrisburg – 2021/22 PREP-CCD-YMP Re-Opening Guidelines
- Acknowledgement for 2021/22 Parish Religious Education and/or Youth Ministry
- Acknowledgement for 2021/22 Parish Religious Education and/or Youth Ministry – Staff and Volunteers
It is required in the Diocese of Harrisburg that all Religion textbooks that are used in parish religious education programs and Catholic schools must have been found by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops’ (USCCB) Ad Hoc Committee to Oversee the Use of the Catechism to be in conformity with the Catechism of the Catholic Church.
These Religion textbooks include:
- elementary series (whether parish or school)
- high school text/series (whether parish or school)
- sacramental preparation textbooks (whether parish or school)
- supplemental textbooks that are used in Religion classes in our Catholic Schools or in our Parish Religious Education Programs
To access the USCCB listing of textbooks which have been found in conformity with the Catechism, click here.
- Catholic Teaching on Angels
- Twelve Promises of the Sacred Heart – A Catechetical Explanation
- Catechists: Teachers As Witnesses to the Faith
- Divine Mercy Devotions
- Prayer: The Fuel for our Spiritual Engines
- Rosarium Virginis Mariae Outline
- The Last Things
- The 15 Promises of Mary to Christians Who Recite the Rosary
- The Key Points: The Most Holy Trinity
Q. Whom do I contact to register my child(ren) in the parish religious education program?
A. Please contact the Pastor of the parish in which you are registered. He will either tell you directly how to register your child for religious education or will put you in touch with the parish Coordinator of Religious Education, who will be able to provide you with the information you need.
Q. How do I know what my child is supposed to be learning in religious education classes?
A. The Diocese of Harrisburg has developed a Pre K – 8 Religious Education Curriculum that is approved by the Bishop of Harrisburg and which is normative for all parishes and schools in the Diocese.
Q. Is there a textbook requirement for Religion textbooks in the Diocese of Harrisburg and if so, what is it?
A. Yes, there is a textbook requirement for all Catholic schools and parish religious education programs in the Diocese of Harrisburg. Students in all parish religious education programs, Catholic elementary schools, and Catholic high schools are required to have Religion textbooks. These textbooks must be in conformity with the Catechism of the Catholic Church as determined by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB).The Religion textbooks that require the conformity listing include:
- elementary series (parish or school edition and teacher manual)
- high school text / series (parish or school edition)
- sacramental preparation textbooks (parish or school edition and teacher manual)
- supplemental Religion textbooks
A list of the textbooks that the USCCB has determined to be in conformity with the Catechism can be found at: www.usccb.org
The Diocesan Religious Education Committee serves as an essential means of support and consultation for the Diocesan Director of Religious Education. This committee, whose membership is drawn from diverse catechetical apostolates and geographical locations throughout the Diocese of Harrisburg, is consultative to the Diocesan Director for Religious Education for:
- Revising the C/DRE Handbook
- Developing and implementing the Annual C/DRE in-service day
- Developing and revising policy and procedure for C/DRE’s and parish programs
- Reviewing and suggesting diocesan catechetical guidelines and materials for First Penance, First Communion, and Confirmation
- Developing and implementing alternate models in catechesis-including special needs catechesis
- Reviewing and revising the K-12 Diocesan Religious Education Curriculum
- Developing and implementing the CRE certification process
The work of this committee benefits the mission of catechesis across the entire Diocese. Members are appointed by the Diocesan Secretary for Education for three year terms. Members may be renewed for a second consecutive three year term. Following a second term, individuals are eligible for additional service to the Committee after a period of one year.